Friday, February 5, 2010

The Value of Nothing by Raj Patel

The full title is The Value of Nothing Why everything costs so much more than we think. Don't be fooled. Raj has another book with the same main title. This book has a nice coffee cup on the cover. It's a small hardback, $27 at Indigo (why do books cost so much???) and I think they had a sale on it.

I'm about 70 of 194 pages into it. His writing is engaging and easy to read. I've taken some economics courses so I haven't had any surprises yet, but he presents the material well. More later when I've finished it.

Now I'm done. It was really interesting. He brings in all sorts of ideas and concepts, and relates them in ways I hadn't considered. It was worth buying if only to see an explanation about what "cap and trade" means, and more importantly, why it won't work, and why it's being pushed by the corporate interests. He takes examples from all over the world, and they are right up to date. Well, I discovered one error. He notes the Himalayan glaciers are supposed to be melted by 2035, and that has been revealed to be a mistake.

Very readable, talking about what we're going to have to go through to reclaim our lives from corporations, and how to recognize various examples of their rapacity. I'm going to have to read it again, and let it soak in more.

No comments:

Post a Comment