Monday, February 1, 2010

"A Spot of Bother" by Mark Haddon

This book is on my "okay" list. Was a good read but did not grab my attention. I read it cover to cover but found I had to make myself pick it up rather than want to pick it up.
About a dysfunctional family with lots going on. Dad thinks he is going crazy...Mom is having an affair with Dad's old work buddy...daughter is marrying the wrong guy...son is trying to figure out his relationship with his gay partner...it kind of goes on and on.
Frankly, I saw alot of my own family in there and I could write a book similar if I knew how to write a book. Maybe that was the point of it?? There were some very funny parts and some of the English words and phrases are cute.
It reminded me that we are all just doing the best with what we have...we can't pick our relatives so we should perhaps forgive some of their shortcomings. It ain't all white picket fences and butterflies and rainbows.

4 comments:

  1. # 3 in the queue at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got it from the library. Turns out I've read his earlier book, and enjoyed that. Will be starting this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Keep busy.
    2. Take long walks.
    3. Sleep well.
    4. Shower and change in the dark.
    5. Drink red wine.
    6. Think of something else.
    7. Talk.

    I am loving this, now that I've got into it. I sometimes have problems with books written in an English accent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finished. Enjoyed. Very, very funny in places. There was a certain clinical fascination in seeing a middle aged male mind descend (briefly) into insanity. I just have to say that sometimes it all seemed so reasonable at the time, and it's all just a big misunderstanding anyways.

    ReplyDelete